Search This Blog

More Blogs

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

NEW ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: MARC AVERY - SCHOOL'S OUT: THE MIXTAPE

This week I decided to focus in on up and coming artists in the music business. The artist for this week is Marc Avery. Marc's latest release is SCHOOL'S OUT: THE MIXTAPE.

RS:  So tell me a little about yourself?
MA: Well, im 25 years old and reppin the Westside of Chicago, IL. Many of you may remember me as J. Swagg.  I am graduate of Rust College in Holly Springs, MS and a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated. (BLUUU PHIIII!!!)

RS: Why did you change my name?
MA: Well I think that J. Swagg was cool but it put me in one lane, it sounds like the name of an artist that would only do dance tracks. Dance tracks are cool but they aren't my thing. Marc is short for Marcellus (my middle name) and Avery is my grandmother's last name (she passed away years ago).

RS: Sorry to hear that. Now I can definitely appreciate your name Marc Avery. Being a young artist yourself, who are your musical influences?
MA:  My musical R&B influences are Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder (the greatest), Babyface, Prince, Michael Jackson, Ryan Leslie and Robin Thicke (on some new shit). My other influences are Queen, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Hall and Oates many others but its too many to name. I also like jazz, artists like Kirk Whalum.

RS: I see you have a versatile taste in music. Since we are on the subject, what is your take on new school hip-hop versus old school hip-hop?
MA: I think that hip hop is hip hop. I do think that the whole "point" of hip hop has changed though. Whereas back in the day when hip hop began those other cats had more "influential" and "political" lyrics in their music. Nowadays its less of that on a mainstream level. We have MORE party music today but dont get it twisted they had plenty party music back in the day. Its really the same thing just more and less of certain ingredients.

RS: Interesting and you definitely right about the party music today versus political points in the past.  So what makes your music "UNIQUE?"
MA: I think what makes my music unique is the lyrics. I take time to try to say things in a way that most people would not say it and the same goes for the overall topic of a song. I also understand that comparisons to Drake may or may not come across and if they do im fine with that. But i do think it is a difference because I sing more than I rap, I am a singer first and a rapper second. He has his lane and I have mine. Besides singers rapped before Drake came along, if anything it should be a comparison to Bobby Brown lol.

RS: How can people interested in your music keep up with you?
MA:Well as I said earlier you can keep an eye on Youtube to see videos or hear music. Those who want to follow me on twitter: @marc_avery and I have a fan page on facebook for Marc Avery. For booking just contact marcaverymusic@gmail.com .


RS: Thank you for your time Marc and I look forward to seeing you go BIG. We need some versatility in the music industry. Last question, where can your music be downloaded?
MA: Fans and those interested in my music can visit http://www.datpiff.com/Marc-Avery-Schools-Out-The-Mixtape.205712.html and get a FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD! You can also visit www.youtube.com and and search my name MARC AVERY or the song.  Please pass the word.





 


0 comments: