Search This Blog

More Blogs

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Why the Glorification of Thug life in Hip-hop music contributes to lack of respect in the Black Community?

-Romaro Spivey

After work the other day I was watching BET’s 106 and Park and the number 3 video came on which was Welcome to my hood by Dj Khaled. Normally, I would just turn but this time I decided to listen to the lyrics and watch the video. Although I found the beat to be catching I found the lyrics to be so negatively influential.  Here we have a song that is glorifying the “HOOD” as being something good because it is the hot spot, the place where N*ggas rob, cable is stole, and half of the people on papers (probation for some criminal activity).  Here are few lyrics from the song:

(part of Plies’ verse): If you aint from the hood, bitch, than stop impersonating us
And tell congress when you see 'em I'm stealin' cable
And leave the D-Boys alone 'cause they motivate us
And why is the half of my whole hood on papers
Some are on house arrest, some are on child support
Some of 'em did they bit, the other half waiting to go to court
Mr Landlord we gon bust your ass with an eviction note
Better have the police with you dog, if you came to repo

(part of Ric Ross’ verse) I got possession of a federal offence
I'm talking pressure in my criminal intent
So wear ya vest's and I'm still gon' stunt
Like it aint no tomorrow, f-ck ya house note n-gga
Blow that bitch on a bottle

I understand that this is America and we are entitled to freedom of speech; however, in a day and time when so many of our young Black men are being raised without fathers and more by the music and the streets, words like these become implanted in their heads as the “Thing to do” and so the cycle continues.  My question is, why do we glorify thug behavior? Why is it viewed as a norm to go against the law rather than respect it? Where is the respect for culture and self in the Black community as far as hip-hop today goes? Share your thoughts.

Romaro Spivey

Lyrics courtesy: http://www.metrolyrics.com/welcome-to-my-hood-lyrics-dj-khaled.html
Image: tulsapolice.org

0 comments: